- Prepare estimates, cost options, cost strategies, change order reviews, valuations of work in progress and bid analyses
- Acts as lead individual on bid and preconstruction estimates
- Prepare preconstruction estimates for schematic and design development levels for project.
- Review construction plans and specifications to complete quantitative take-offs and support estimators
- Communicate with subcontractor base regarding project scope, schedule, risks, etc.
- Lead and support bid day tasks including the following: finalize project cost & alternates; verify subcontractors’ scopes & costs; analyze project risks; resolve conflicts and questions on bid scopes
- Compiles and analyzes data on all factors that influence costs, such as material, labor, equipment, and profit margins
- Performs complex cost estimates and analysis for capital and professional services projects
- Evaluates cost estimating deliverables prepared by consultants for cost containment.
- Evaluates quotes, bids, change orders, value engineering reports, and claims for accuracy and completeness of stated costs
- Acquires and evaluates pricing documents, historical and vendor cost data for the development of cost estimates and price recommendations
- Accurately forecasts costs of future projects and changes to existing projects
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management
- Work as integral part of our Estimating Team to perform plan and specification analysis, takeoff and pricing of various construction projects.
- Work with subcontractors and vendors to define scope, and perform subcontractor and vendor analysis
- Responsible for managing a complete estimate through final review and closeout
- Participate in Value Engineering studies and negotiations with contractors
- Attend client meetings
- Undertake other cost-related tasks as directed by supervisor
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: 4-year college degree in Construction Management, Structural Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Cost Estimating or equivalent recognized technical qualification
- Minimum Experience required: 3-5 years’ relevant experience in construction cost estimating of a variety of building types from program, conceptual, schematic, design development and construction document stages of design in elemental and CSI format
- Knowledge and understanding of execution of cost management services; good planning, organization and communication skills essential. Understanding of technical and non-technical documents related to cost management services required. Knowledge and use of industry-estimating software and Microsoft Office software programs
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion