Director of Operations:
The Carlisle Group is pleased to be partnering with a group that owns 2 high-volume grocery stores in Northern New Jersey. Due to a recent retirement, we are conducting a retained search for a Director of Operations, Marketing & Merchandising. This position will complement the current leadership team by enhancing the Marketing and Merchandising operations of the stores, while also supporting the store managers.
This company offers a tremendous long-term opportunity, with the potential for this role to grow into a Vice President of Operations position.
The Director of Marketing & Merchandising Operations is accountable to the President for directing and coordinating activities in all areas of marketing and merchandising including maximizing sales and gross profits through variety, pricing, procurement and marketing. Shares in the responsibility with the store teams in establishing the budget for, and ultimately performance in financial measures including sales, gross, shrink, labor, coupons and supplies. Maintains a broad view and understanding of the marketplace, and manages Sunrise-specific marketing activities including circulars, target marketing and social media. The Director of Marketing & Merchandising Operations will operate as a strategic business partner with the store management teams in the execution of all company standards, programs, policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
The essential job functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret extensive financial data.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to maintain good communication throughout the organization.
- Knowledge and application of Company systems and databases as required, i.e. CGO, Microstrategies, PPI, etc.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
The job responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Help budget and achieve financial goals, including sales, gross profit, shrink, labor, coupons and supplies.
- Review and monitor department performance, both against budget and in relation to cooperative performance/comparative data, through both internal reporting and company relationships.
- Recommend, participate and follow through in the development and implementation of Company Standard Operating Procedures.
- Work in conjunction with Store Management teams to monitor compliance of company operating, merchandising, food safety, sanitation, QA and safety standards.
- Establish and maintain a professional working relationship with vendors, peers, operations, staff and store management.
- Partner with Human Resources and Store Management in the development of Associates.
- Attend committee meetings and disseminate information to departments of responsibility, store managers, and Owner.
- Plan and implement an annual marketing calendar of off-week circulars, anniversary sales, holiday sales, and in-store marketing programs designed to maximize gross profit and sales, and analyze based on KPIs determined by Executive Staff
- Develop and maintain a pricing strategy geared toward maximizing sales and gross profit goals while simultaneously monitoring Competitor retails to maintain an appropriate pricing index in our local market.
- Monitor customer behavior using Price Plus Insights or any other available data, and plan and implement targeted marketing programs accordingly to drive customer count and transaction size
- Working with the Executive Chef and Dietitians when appropriate, plan, develop and implement special merchandising events designed to engage customers in our product offerings by highlighting new items and food trends.
- Engage with social media liaison to drive the success of local pages, levering platforms to drive not only community engagement but also sales through the use of social-only marketing campaigns, post boosting and any other available strategy. Also participates as the company representative on the Social Media User Group.
- Budget and manage coupon costs.
- Analyze circular distribution effectiveness and manage the customer circular mailing program.
- Consistently monitor product offering by staying in touch with food trends and the evolving tastes of our shoppers, while simultaneously monitoring product assortment and retails in local competition to ensure our place as market leader in variety, quality and value.
- Develop mutually beneficial, innovative partnerships with vendors, working with Store Teams whenever possible and appropriate in order to manage the local vendor network (cost, pricing, variety, authorization and terms), maximize vendor funding (space, money, display allowances) and manage vendor participation programs (golf outing, etc.).
- Manage and maintain pricing programs.
- Maintain line of sight into all items on ISP, checking in with Store Teams to ensure retails are set in a way that supports the pricing strategy.
- Work with Surge, Initiatives and the Store Teams to coordinate and plan department resets
- Oversee procurement and display of products when necessary to best support company exclusive Marketing.
- Assist in the designation of the most cost effective supply items and usage, partnering with Executive Chef where appropriate.