The Carlisle Group is pleased to be partnering on a retained search for The Good Earth Food Co-op in beautiful Minnesota.
The Good Earth Food Co-op (GEFC) is located in St. Cloud, Minnesota, a thriving center of commerce in central Minnesota with deep agricultural and industrial roots. It is located at the confluence of the Sauk and Mississippi Rivers, and is the third largest metropolitan area in Minnesota. St. Cloud features the best in living, education, health care, culture and recreation.
The GEFC is a cooperative business established in 1971. It is owned by its more than 3,000 members, employs 32 staff members, and has surpassed three million dollars in sales for the past two years. The GEFC strives to create and maintain a strong community through contributing to a vibrant local economy, engaging in socially equitable relationships and being a trusted resource for information on food, the environment and the cooperative principles. GEFC’s mission is to offer nutritious food and other products for the lowest feasible prices, and to promote healthful lifestyles, cooperation among food producers and consumers, and environmental quality. GEFC supports sustainable, organic local agriculture and the principles of Fair Trade while operating under the Rochdale Principles of Cooperation.
The GEFC Board of Directors (Board) is looking for a General Manager (GM) who will lead the cooperative so that it achieves the goals and objectives determined by the Board while remaining aligned with the GEFC's mission and vision. The GM will report to the Board, which is elected by the Member-Owners of the cooperative. The GM operates under Policy Governance guidelines. The GM will have the power to make all decisions, create policies and take any actions that can be demonstrated to be consistent with a reasonable interpretation of board policies. The GM will have the authority to hire, direct, structure and evaluate all other staff. The GM will ensure achievement of organizational results, as defined in the Ends policies, and avoid unacceptable conditions, as defined in the Executive Limitations policies. Performance will be evaluated through monitoring of expectations established in the board policies. A full set of the policies is available upon request.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
● Retail management experience in the natural/organic or conventional food industry, or an independent (non-chain) store
● Bottom-line accountability and experience with operating, capital, and cash budgets
● Supervisory experience, including the ability to hire the right team members, determine compensation, regularly evaluate performance, develop skills, and hold staff accountable to specified performance standards
● Ability to effectively motivate, lead and coordinate a diverse staff and management team to provide superior service and support to customers and each other
● Ability to determine and evaluate appropriate strategic changes and make sound financial investment decisions
● Computer literacy
● Demonstrated history of time management, effectual and timely decision making, and handling of multiple demands
● Exceptional written and oral communication skills, excellent active listening capability, outstanding customer service skills, and ability to provide clear, concise direction and feedback
● Extraordinary organizational skills and detail orientation