Scope of the job
The Controller is responsible for providing accounting leadership and direction which includes a broad range of financial, accounting and business support services. Specific fiscal responsibilities include Accounting (accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, manufacturing accounting, inventory, and payroll), Annual Audits and Financial Reporting.
- Provide leadership for all financial operations of the institution which includes the design of systems, preparation/presentation of financial reports and budgets, preparation of documents for annual audits, monitoring of revenues and expenditures, assist in conducting financial analyses and maintaining and improving internal controls
- Function as the liaison with other organization departments concerning the need for and development of financial reports
- Find ways to leverage technology to improve the efficiency of the department
- Recommend and develop strategies and goals to meet organization objectives and development, and to support sound fiscal management
- Participate in the development of short term and long-range financial projections along with organizational and staff planning
- Establish fiscal and personal credibility throughout the organization.
- With HR, enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- Preparation and accuracy of financial reports including annual general financial statements, monthly financial reports, weekly progress reports and other reports required by management, State of Washington, Federal Government, and various agencies.
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in executing, analyzing, verifying, and reporting transactions of a fiscal nature.
- Resolve errors and inaccuracies in the current accounting system. Research appropriate software technology for accounting, inventory control, and invoice processing.
- Conduct reviews of the physical and administrative operations, along with internal controls of the institution’s financial areas.
- Design and implement an effective tax planning system.
- Coordinate the review of contractual purchases and agreements for compliance with organization policy and procedures, purchasing regulations and minimum insurance coverages and legal requirements.
- Coordinate any audit process. Prepares and/or reviews all documents to support the audit.
- Establishes new accounts, maintains an existing chart of accounts within the system and development of financial reports.
- Responsible for maintaining the company’s ERP system (NetSuite).
- Manage and coordinate the record retention process of financial records including additions, updates, and revisions.
- Establish and maintain information and internal forms related to accounting services.
- Responsible for uploading the annual budget and ensuring the accuracy and input of all budget data into the ERP systems.
- Conduct monthly business reviews.
- Identify and eliminate waste and unnecessary spending in all segments of the organization.
- Ensure the accuracy of the inventory control system for all components and finished goods.
- Provide professional growth opportunities and cross-training of staff.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or Master’s Degree a plus
- Minimum seven years in Controller capacity role, preferably with manufacturing
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles ability to apply knowledge within a small business setting.
- Proficient in the use of word processing and spreadsheet software applications (Word and Excel). Prefer NetSuite, and Power BI experience.
- Strong oral and written skills. Experience with the board and C-level presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to implement change, build consensus, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships, and gain confidence and cooperation within the organization.
- Proven ability to analyze complex data, develop financial reports for financial analysis, forecasting, trending, and results in analysis.
- Strong ability to interpret financial transactions and events for users who must make economic or business decisions.
We do not discriminate in the acceptance or referral of candidates on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, disability, or other legally protected characteristics.