Construction client is seeking an Estimator to join our Large Projects team. This role is responsible for preparing sections of schematic, design development and construction document estimates including soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for all CSI (Construction Specific Institute) categories of work.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for some CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development, construction documents).
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team’s assistance.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Becomes proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (On-Screen Takeoff, & Desiniti).
- Constantly strives to improve individual capabilities, performance and expand knowledge of construction technologies and techniques.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
- Participates in personal career development through on-the-job training, attends preconstructions /operations classroom training programs, participates in software training, seminars and assists in the development of interns / co-ops.
- 1 year or more of commercial construction estimating experience
- Knowledgeable in some of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, interior finishes, exterior building wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (e.g. On Screen Takeoff, Desiniti), word process, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms (e.g. Building Connected, Smartbidnet), database applications, and company communication tools, such as email, internet and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction Management or related Engineering field.
- Possess good organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.