Associate Director, New Product Planning – Oncology:
My client, a fully integrated, global biopharma company located in a western Boston suburb, has a diversified commercial product portfolio in CNS. Their pipeline is strong and expanding and includes late-stage drug candidates for the treatments of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder, along with three promising new drug candidates in the areas of multiple sclerosis, pain and oncology.
This company prides itself on having a distinctive and positive culture that embodies respect for all and an unwavering commitment to and passion for their work. The single value however that rises to the top repeatedly is teamwork. They are also incredibly patient-focused, hold themselves accountable, and have a healthy respect for work/life balance.
This company is in an exciting phase of growth and is in need of an Associate Director, New Product Planning – Oncology to join their team. This highly visible position offers a candidate the opportunity to significantly contribute to the long-term commercial success of the portfolio and is responsible for providing commercial assessments of key early stage product planning opportunities, market research activities, lifecycle planning, competitive positioning and preferred product presentation.
- Strong commercial experience, ideally including New Product Planning
- 3+ years in oncology (recent)
- Launch experience required
- Ability to travel overnight ~10-15%
- Desire and ability to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty
- Boston based or able to relocate to the Boston area – not a remote position (relo provided)
To achieve their goals for continued growth, this company is expanding their New Product Planning Team with the addition of a new position: Associate Director Oncology. The NPP team is responsible for providing strategic commercial guidance and insights in the early development of assets, and responsible for representing the commercial perspective at key drug-development decision-making points.
- Support and participate in the development of forward-looking strategies, market positioning and product profiles for Oncology pipeline products by synthesizing primary and secondary inputs that will inform the lifecycle plan
- Drive completion of market research initiatives and work closely with the NPP team to track key milestone progress across pipeline programs
- Serve as a member of product teams in the early stage development of the Oncology portfolio ensuring strategic commercial insight with internal business partners (medical, clinical, CMC, etc) to optimize the market value of assets
- Manage external consulting partners (e.g., strategy consultants, market research), to update commercial assessment tool(s) as needed and proactively seek out ways to improve assessments
- Track and understand the therapeutic market trends from a commercial, managed markets, clinical, and scientific perspective and stay up to date in market developments and changes in competitive landscape for key therapeutic areas/markets
- Provide early market assessments and develop value proposition, business cases and early forecasts to prioritize commercial indications for products in key therapeutic areas
- Manage assigned budget
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, advanced degree (MBA) a plus
- Background or degree in science a plus
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience with specialty pharmaceutical marketing, market research- preferable experience in brand marketing and a product launch with 3-5 years in Oncology
- Previous experience in a commercial assessment role that required comprehensive understanding of therapeutic markets from multiple customer perspectives (e.g., HCP, Payers, Patients) and/or different business perspectives (e.g., clinical, R&D, marketing)
- Significant analytic skills, able to clearly interpret and distill scientific, clinical and commercial information
- Basic understanding of key marketing and market research principles
- Familiarity with secondary research and databases
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritize, execute, follow up and anticipate challenges
- Ability to work, influence, and gain consensus across multiple functions (sales, finance, product development, public affairs, medical affairs)
- Excellent organization, communication (written and oral) and facilitation skills
- Self-motivated, builds trust easily and operates with integrity and ethics
- Demonstrated learning agility
- Strong history of delivering high quality, sustainable results using skills and capabilities
- Overnight travel ~10-15%